AMENITIES AND ACTIVITIES
Clare Island is located 3 miles (5 kilometres) from Roonagh pier near Louisburg on the Mayo mainland. There is a daily ferry service from Roonagh to the main harbour on the Island.
There is a wealth of activity to be enjoyed on Clare Island including walking, cycling, horse riding, fishing, marine activities, wellness pursuits and arts and crafts to name but a few.
Clare Island’s beautiful sandy beach surrounding the main harbour and Granuaile’s Castle is a superb natural amenity. The pristine water and white sand of the “Blue Flag” beach make it an ideal spot for swimming and exploring the shoreline. The beach also holds a “Green Flag” for water safety and quality and it is the only offshore island in Ireland and UK to hold both accolades.
One of the most pleasant ways to explore Clare Island is by bicycle on the many lovely paths and boreens criss-crossing the landscape. Bicycles are available for rent at the main harbour.
Clare Islands’ remarkably varied topography offers the ideal terrain for both the serious hill-walker and the casual visitor out for a relaxing stroll. Maps of suggested walking routes and looped trails are available for walkers and hill-walkers at the harbour.
Offshore, the clear waters surrounding the island are renowned for their exceptional dive sites. In general, activities on the island can be booked locally at short notice.
Island Amenities include:
- Community and Information Centre, with a bar a short walk from the harbour.
- A number of Festivals, Summer Schools and Cultural events take place on the Island during the summer and autumn months/li>
- Taxi Service – Bridget O’Leary Tel: +353 (0) 98 256 40
- Clare Island Tours – Bridget also offers island tours for small groups
- Bicycle hire
- Shop & Post office.
- ‘Go Explore’ Hostel & ‘Sailors Bar’
- Ballytoughey Loom where Beth Moran specialises in handweaving, natural dying and spinning
- Yoga retreat and meditation centre. Caters for vegetarians.
- Selection of guest houses and bed & breakfast accommodation.